1907 - World’s Largest Shingle Mill Opens
Considered the largest shingle mill in the world when it opened in 1907, the Clough-Hartley plant had the capacity of producing at least 500,000 shingles a day. The plant dwarfed any previous shingle mill in Everett.
By 1912, the mill also was putting out 80,000 feet of cedar siding and lumber per day. With 163 employees, Clough-Hartley had more workers than all the 14th Street Dock mills combined. By 1916, Clough-Hartley's daily shingle production was reported at 1.5 million. David Clough was still president and Roland Hartley, vice president; H.J. Clough became secretary-treasurer after his father's death in 1915. From 1919 to 1923, Bayside Shingle Company also operated at either 18th or 19th Street and Norton Avenue with Cloughs and Hartleys as officers. It is unclear whether this was simply part of the Clough-Hartley plant or a separate adjacent facility. Perhaps it was housed in the building(s) of the Seaside Shingle Company, which was shown previously at 19th Street and Norton Avenue. When David Clough died in 1924, Roland Hartley became Clough-Hartley president, H.J. Clough’s name was dropped as a company officer, and the Bayside Shingle name vanished as well. Roland Hartley remained president for the next several years, but it is unlikely he was directly involved in the mill’s operation, he was elected Washington State’s governor in 1924 and was re-elected in 1928. Most likely the mill management was in the hands of his sons David M. and Edward W. Hartley.