Influences of Lumber and Shingle Mills on the Development of Everett
The 14th St. Dock was Everett’s first man-made structure on the site that would become in the 21st century the largest public recreational marina on the West Coast. Built in 1892 by the Everett Land Company, the wooden warf extended 2,000 feet due west from the shoreline over the Port Gardner Bay tidelands, lining up with 14th Street, an east-west road at the top of the bluff above the dock. After the creation of this dock, many different mills called the Everett Waterfront home, including the most recent Kimberly Clark Paper Mill. While no mills remain, the building of this dock created a town that was heralded as “the leading lumber, logging and shingle center of the Northwest” and created an industry in which Everett was built on.